Monday, May 24, 2010

Home document digitization project

Although I do like to keep the magazines I've purchased over the years, I see no point in keeping paper-based copies of magazines. And Google Books isn't moving fast enough with their scanning project, so I guess I'm going to have to do it myself.

I will need to buy a paper guillotine to cut the spines off of my books and magazines, and I'll need a color scanner with an automatic document feeder (ADF) so I'm not spending days and days just hand-feeding pages into a flatbed scanner.

However some magazines do not follow the A4 / 8.5 x 11 standard, and if I'm going to do this right I want to cover anything up to 11 x 17.

Whoah, did you say 11 x 17 ?? And an ADF??

Suddenly this hobby project becomes very expensive. There is no such thing as an inexpensive (under $500) 11 x 17 scanner with an ADF. In fact, there's no such scanner under $2000.

About the least expensive 11 x 17 color scanner with an ADF appears to be the Kodak i1405 at a mere $2499. Yeouch. So, just how valuable IS that old collection of Omni and Mondo 2000 magazines? Are they worth forking out 2.5 grand to digitize and discard?

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to do some more looking. Under $1000 I suppose I could handle but $2500 is still ridiculously high.

Though, I suppose I could always turn around and resell the scanner to recover some of the expense, after I'm done scanning five years worth of New Scientist magazine into my home computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment